Time and again, we have demonstrated that when we strive and dream together, we can expand the horizons of knowledge and impact the world in extraordinary and indelible ways. Now is our chance to do so again. This strategic framework sets out ten new goals for Johns Hopkins University through 2030 under four organizing pillars: One University, Individual and Collective Excellence, Knowledge and Impact, and Community Partnership and Economic Opportunity for Baltimore and the other communities of which we are a part. We look forward with great anticipation to all that lies ahead and all that we will achieve together—as One University.
The Ten for One
In the Spring of 2022, Johns Hopkins launched a series of conversations around a new strategic vision for the university. The discussions that followed were remarkable. President Daniels held 65 listening sessions with over 1,200 faculty, students and staff from across the university, as well as our neighbors and community partners across Baltimore. These conversations helped to shape the Ten for One, our next strategic framework, setting out ten ambitious new goals for our One University through the end of the decade.
A Message From President Daniels
The Ten Goals
- Invigorate the sense of community and shared on-campus experience that are the essence of our university.
- Embark on an ambitious series of major cross-university initiatives that build on our achievements as One University and lower the barriers to collaboration so that our faculty, students, and staff can pursue their ideas wherever they take them.
- Deepen our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and to fostering a culture of dialogue and engagement that models the best of a pluralistic society.
Individual and Collective Excellence
- Retain, recruit, and inspire the very best faculty in the world by ensuring that we have competitive resources, state-of-the-art facilities, and outstanding support services that nurture research and discovery at the vanguard of each field of inquiry.
- Honor our legacy as the nation’s first research university by developing ambitious reforms so that every graduate student and postdoctoral fellow receives an experience that is rigorous, innovative, and tailored to their career aspirations.
- Create the preeminent undergraduate experience in a research-intensive university setting by nurturing a learning environment that allows students to connect with our leading faculty and research programs; provides unrivaled mentorship, immersive experiences, and life design; and creates a culture of engagement, community, and belonging that ensures our students can thrive individually and collectively.
- Become a national employer of choice that recognizes, celebrates, and supports our staff and offers multiple pathways to professional and personal advancement for themselves and their families.
Knowledge and Impact
- Create the leading academic hub for data science and artificial intelligence to drive research and teaching in every corner of the university and magnify our impact in every corner of the world.
- Develop new pathways to help us translate our cutting-edge research into meaningful policy ideas, and become the preeminent source of academic expertise for evidence-based policymaking in service to the nation and the world.