Posted in Messages
Dear Johns Hopkins Community:
Ten years ago, we joined together to develop the university’s first ever strategic framework, the Ten by Twenty. In spring 2022, we began a series of conversations across the institution around the creation of a new set of goals and aspirations for the university for the years to come.
Today, I am excited to share with you a draft of our next university strategic vision: The Ten for One—ten new goals for our One University through the end of the decade. You will find the ten top line goals at the end of this email and the link below to the full draft of the Ten for One, which details the ways we will move forward together to achieve our aims.
This document emerged from more than sixty listening sessions with faculty, students, staff, alumni, and senior leaders from across the university, as well as our neighbors and community partners in Baltimore. Nearly 1,200 of you participated in these sessions, and many more provided your thoughts in written form. The document is also informed by faculty-led reports and recommendations on topics of priority for the university and its schools.
The Ten for One sets out ambitious goals touching every part of university life – from far-reaching new commitments to faculty, students, and staff, to extensive investments in buildings and instrumentation and the campus experience, to the deepening of our work to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion and foster a culture of pluralism on campus, to new undertakings that ensure we become the leading academic hub of data science and artificial intelligence and the preeminent source of evidence-based policymaking.
I invite you to provide your feedback on the draft Ten for One at the link below or via email at TenforOne@jhu.edu, no later than May 12, 2023. We planning to share a final version of the document this summer.
I am grateful for your participation in this important process and truly excited about all that lies ahead, and all that we have yet to achieve. Together, as One University.
The Ten Goals of the Ten for One
- Invigorate the sense of community and shared on-campus experience that are the essence of our university.
- Embark on an ambitious series of major cross-university initiatives that build on our achievements as One University and lower the barriers to collaboration so that our faculty, students, and staff can pursue their ideas wherever they take them.
- Deepen our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and to fostering a culture of dialogue and engagement that models the best of a pluralistic society.
Individual and Collective Excellence
- Retain, recruit, and inspire the very best faculty in the world by ensuring that we have competitive resources, state-of-the-art facilities, and outstanding support services that nurture research and discovery at the vanguard of each field of inquiry.
- Honor our legacy as the nation’s first research university by developing ambitious reforms so that every graduate student and postdoctoral fellow receives an experience that is rigorous, innovative, and tailored to their career aspirations.
- Create the preeminent undergraduate experience in a research-intensive university setting by nurturing a learning environment that allows students to connect with our leading faculty and research programs; provides unrivaled mentorship, immersive experiences, and life design; and creates a culture of engagement, community, and belonging that ensures our students can thrive individually and collectively.
- Become a national employer of choice that recognizes, celebrates, and supports our staff and offers multiple pathways to professional and personal advancement for themselves and their families.
Knowledge and Impact
- Create the leading academic hub for data science and artificial intelligence to drive research and teaching in every corner of the university and magnify our impact in every corner of the world.
- Develop new pathways to help us translate our cutting-edge research into meaningful policy ideas, and become the preeminent source of academic expertise for evidence-based policymaking in service to the nation and the world.
Community Partnership and Economic Opportunity
- Develop a new generation of partnerships and programs to support the aspirations of our neighbors and generate economic opportunity for the city of Baltimore and other communities of which we are a part.