A Vision for Johns Hopkins by 2020
The Ten by Twenty, which was released in May 2013, is an articulation of priorities for the university through the remainder of the decade.
It seeks to map our exceptional history, the approaching challenges, and the boundless opportunities that lie ahead. The plan took shape through conversations across the university over several years, and in particular, more than 35 discussion sessions with over 1,000 members of our community—faculty, students, staff, alumni, deans, and trustees.
The conversation about our collective future is only beginning—and your thoughts will help shape our path forward. Visit the online 2019 progress report to read about our progress and to leave feedback.
Our Priorities and Goals
Forging Collaboration Across Disciplines
- Selectively invest in programs that support our core academic mission.
- Strengthen our capacity for faculty-led interdisciplinary collaboration and launch a set of innovative cross-cutting initiatives that will contribute substantially to the world of ideas and action.
- Enhance the impact of Johns Hopkins Medicine, the Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Supporting faculty, students, and staff
- Build Johns Hopkins' undergraduate experience so it stands among the top ten in the nation.
- Build on our legacy as America's first research university by ensuring that at least two-thirds of our Ph.D. programs stand among the top twenty in their fields.
- Attract the very best faculty and staff in the world through a welcoming and inclusive environment that values performance and celebrates professional achievement.
Commitment to Our Communities
Enriching our ties to Baltimore, the nation, and the world
- Enhance and enrich our ties to Baltimore, the nation and the world, so that Johns Hopkins becomes the exemplar of a globally engaged, urban university.
Building an even stronger university
- Strengthen the institutional, budgetary, technological and policy frameworks necessary to set priorities, allocate resources, and realize the highest standards of academic excellence.
- Reinforce our position as the leading university recipient of competitively funded federal research support, while increasing the amount of annual research investment from other sources with appropriate cost recovery.
- Develop the resource base necessary to support investments in key academic priorities.